What to Do if You Find a Credit Report Error

You have the legal right to dispute information on your credit report that you disagree with or that is wrong. You have a right to some kind of due process to have your side of the story heard.

Your primary means of challenging the information is to contact the credit reporting bureau. They include information on your credit report that they have received from creditors, and you can request that the credit bureau review the dispute. You can file a dispute in writing (online or through a letter) that states your point of view and what you think is wrong.

In addition, you should also dispute the entry with the creditor that filed the information. They may have legal liability if they report incorrectly, so they should review the dispute as well.

The credit bureau will decide whether to remove the information from your credit report. If they do not, you still have the ability to make your voice heard. You can ask that the credit bureau include your own statement of objection to the entry, so future creditors hear your side of the story when deciding to extend you credit.

You have legal rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). This law is intended to ensure that the information that appears on your credit report is accurate. Credit reporting agencies are required to delete inaccurate or incomplete information. You can file a lawsuit if a creditor or credit bureau willfully violates this law.

Seek Help from Los Angeles Consumer Law Attorneys

If a creditor or credit bureau is violating your legal rights, you can take strong action against them after you hire a Los Angeles consumer law attorney. Contact the attorneys at Martin & Bontrager, APC, online or call us at 323.940.1700 to learn about what you can do when these entities are breaking the law.